Help with vintage pattern - counting problem!

TracyD

Question

Hi, everyone...

I'm kind of new to crochet, but I'm a perfectionist (which doesn't always help matters any!). I'm doing some vintage clothing that I found in the reproduction of the Fleisher's manual from 1912 that I bought on Ivarose.com. I already made a cool hat, but I'm going crazy with this jacket pattern. I'm trying to make the first jacket in this collage:

fleisher_s__10_collage6.jpg

Here's my problem - I do okay up until the 3rd row, and I think there may be a mistake in the pattern. The orginal pattern is in bold, and my comments are in italics:

Chain 84.

1ST ROW - in the 4th stitch of chain make 2 double ccrochets, 1 double crochet in each stitch for 39 stitches, 4 double crochets in next stitch, 1 double crochet in each of the next 30 stitches, 3 double crochets in next stitch. Turn, chain 3.

This increases by 6 stitches - from 80 in foundation to 86.

2D ROW - 43 star stithces of 6 loops. turn, chain 1.

(The star stitch has the width of 2 chains, so this is okay and the stitch count is still 86)

3D ROW - *3 single crochets in 1st stitch, 1 single crochet in each of the next 39 stitches,* 2 single crochets in each of next 4 stitches, reverse between stars. Turn, chain 3.

THIS is where things go bad, and I know I'm not counting something correctly. This is an increase of 12 stitches, and should result in 98, right? But if you count the references to the stitches of the previous row, those add up to 84, which results in 96 after the increases (first stitch, next 39, next 4, next 39, last stitch). So, I went along and put the increases where the pattern says to (stitches 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 and on both ends) and it starts to go cattywampus. I run into real trouble with the next row:)

4TH ROW - 49 stars. Turn, chain 1.

I ended up with 47 stars! I didn't notice that at first... but this also tells me that I should have had 98 stitches in the previous row, which I didn't.

5TH ROW - Increase 3 in 1st, 43d, 49th, 50th 56th and last stitches.

This is obviously sc, and an 18 stitch increase. IF there were 98 stitches in the previous row, there should now be 116, right? And that would make 58 shells in the next row, right? Wrong.

6TH ROW - 55 stars.

AARRGGHHH!!! That means there should be 110 stitches in the previous row. I wound up with 53 stars. :thair

This is what it winds up looking like at this point:

oops2.jpg

oopsclose.jpg

Can somebody please help me???? :help

(And don't worry - I do know to add the chains at the end, even though they don't repeat that in the instructions.)

Any help is appreciated.

Tracy

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived