felted crocheted circles bulk--remedy?

Tracy

Question

Hi all.

I love felting my crochet but keep experiencing a problem with crocheted circles: They dome or bulk when you felt them instead of remaining flat (like knitted-felted circles do).

Does anyone know how to crochet a circle (in the round) that doesn't "dome" when felted?

I need to know as I want to crochet, and then felt, a round, tall basket shape (that will hopefully result in like a flat bottom, instead of a domed bottom once it's felted).

I've tried several hook sizes and increase techniques in a search for a remedy.

I've tried crocheting really loose, (as I thought perhaps my gauge was too tight). I've tried different wools. Every circle I've crocheted bulks when I've felted it.

I'm wondering if there a pattern, stitch or combination of stitches which will remedy the bulking factor of crocheted circles.

I crochet my circles "in the round" instead of back and forth in rows. Actually, I've never tried back and forth in rows and am not crazy about the idea but would do it if it resulted in a flat felting. Does that work? If so, is there a stitch pattern for a circle of this kind anywhere?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks and happy hooking : )

Tracy

1 answer to this question

Archived