How can I fix this?

Chrome Kitty

Question

I just spent all morning making a hat with a million color changes. It's a basic hat with a floppy brim. So I put it on and found that it's a little mushroom-y at the top (think Strawberry Shortcake).:sigh I don't think it's too horrible, but it's a gift so I want to fix it. What can I do to reduce the poof? I thought about weaving some yarn through the problem area and tightening it up and knotting it. Would that work? Would I be better off making little darts? I don't want to start over because it took too long as it is and I have lots of other things to get done soon. Heeelllllppppp . . .:help

2 answers to this question

You stated basic hat pattern, there are several so I do not know what you can do without knowing, but being it is at top, assume you worked inrounds from top down, there is nothing you can do. Most hats do not take long to make, also the type of yarn you used, using soft stuff, makes the hat floppy looky, not stand up. Something tells me you need to redo, using another yarn, darn it.

It was done from the center top in rounds, increasing to a circle to form the top and then keeping the same number of stitches to form the "sides". Then there were two rounds of decreases before the brim. I know where the problem is - the last round of increases made it too big on top and that's where it's puffed up. The reason I don't want to do it over is because there are about 60 popcorns on the hat. There was a color change before and after each popcorn so the popcorns are a different color than the rest of the hat.:cry

Archived