Yarn stores in Chicago?

sewmom

My husband and I are going to Chicago next week, staying close to the Navy Pier. Are there any yarn shops in the area? Hubby will be at a conference for 1 1/2 days of our stay, so I'll have time to shop around!

I am only familiar with one shop, Arcadia Knitting, but it isn't real close to Navy Pier which is on the south side of downtown Chicago (the shop is on Lawrence and Armitage, uh make that Ashland - been away too many years, getting my streets mixed up! - which is on the north side of Chicago).

Your best bet is to check out this google link, it will show you all the yarn shops in Chicago with a map showing exactly where they are. You will have phone numbers, and where they exist, urls for the shops listed, plus you can get a map showing how to get there from where you are staying. Oh - for some reason, my system is (as usual) acting up, and the page wouldn't load properly for me in Mozilla, but it came up okay in IE. Don't know what browser you use, hopefully you won't have a problem with it. This is a pretty nifty little new feature of google, found under the "Local" tab (you click that after entering your search parameters instead of the usual search button).

There's quite a few shops listed, many of them probably closer to where you are staying than Arcadia (which is "J" on the list). Good luck and happy yarn petting! :hook

Okay, exploring a bit more, this link will give you even more possibilities, along with reviews on some of them. It's a local knitting guild website. Do be aware, however, that any shops you find that are close to Navy Pier are likely to be uber-expensive in comparison to more satellite locations. Rent is a killer in that area!

Okay, exploring a bit more, this link will give you even more possibilities, along with reviews on some of them. It's a local knitting guild website. Do be aware, however, that any shops you find that are close to Navy Pier are likely to be uber-expensive in comparison to more satellite locations. Rent is a killer in that area!

Thanks for your help, Goldi! I am sure that the downtown stores of ANY variety are more expensive, but the last adults-only vacation I had was 11 1/2 years ago, so I might just splurge. I'll report my findings when I get back!

Archived