Help! My scarf is curling

wendyRN

Question

I am trying to crochet my BIL a scarf using sc. I am doing it by the length instead of by the width. Did that make sense? I crocheted a chain the length I wanted and I am just doing sc in rows until it is wide enough.

It started curling up on my starting chain but I didnt worry because that always crochets out with no problem. But I am on the 4th row now and it is still curling up!

What have I done wrong??? :think

6 answers to this question

Sounds like your tension is a little tight. One possible "fix" would be to go ahead and finish the scarf, then go around the edges with a row or two of sc. That will help tame the curling. You could also block it after it is finished. I know there was a recent thread about this you could look up. Hope I helped!

Katie

Sounds like your tension is a little tight. One possible "fix" would be to go ahead and finish the scarf, then go around the edges with a row or two of sc. That will help tame the curling. You could also block it after it is finished. I know there was a recent thread about this you could look up. Hope I helped!

Katie

I thought about doing edging when I was done but didnt know if it would work. I reckon it IS my tension that is too tight darnit. What do I do about it now? Do I need to just start over? wont the rows look funny if I loosen up on it now?

thanks for the help!

It is curling because your foundation chain is too tight. I do a lot of scarves lengthwise and I found you have to chain really loose. It might also help if you use a bigger hook at first too. If it really bugs you and you aren't to far into it I would just pull it out and start over.

It is curling because your foundation chain is too tight. I do a lot of scarves lengthwise and I found you have to chain really loose. It might also help if you use a bigger hook at first too. If it really bugs you and you aren't to far into it I would just pull it out and start over.

darnit, I just knew someone was going to tell me that:oops

:hook thanks yall! I'm going to start over then.

I just started a new scarf last night, and frogged the chain once, because going up one hook size wasn't enough. I am using an "I" hook for the body, but I used a "K" hook for the chain. It's just 100 times easier for me to use a bigger hook to chain that to remember (and consistently) chain looser :hook

Archived