Pattern help for a real newbie.

zophas

Question

Ok so now I have a basic question. The following is from a pattern I found at elleyarns.com. They use UK terminology but I am more comfortable with US terminology so I converted it by changing the "tr" to "dc" which I hope is correct.

2nd rnd: Slst in 1chsp, 4ch (= 1dc, 1ch), (1dc, 1ch) 3 times in same 1chsp, *miss next 1chsp, (1dc, 1ch) 4 times in next 1chsp, rep from * twice more, slst in top of 3ch, next 1chsp and next dc (#).

The part that is confusing me is the slip stitch at the end. Is it 3 slst in three different stitches or 1 slst in three different stitches. In other rounds in the same pattern most of them end with slst in one place. Hence the confusion with this 2nd round.
The designer does say that the # mark indicates a color change and it took me awhile to realize that the = sign means "counts as" so that the 4ch counts as 1dc, 1ch. Is this correct?

4 answers to this question

Good morning!

So first off, you are correct in reading the UK TC as a US DC.  Good job 😄

Now then, as for the slip stitching ... the

slst in top of 3ch, next 1chsp and next dc (#)

reads to me as three individual SS in three separate places-

1-  a SS in the 3rd chain would be the same as joining/SS into the top of a DC.  

2- SS into the 'chsp' is working around that 4th chain (instead of actually into that chain) like you would for any other chain spaces. 

3- SS into next DC is just that - the DC that follows the beginning chains of the round.  

And from there, since I can't see the rest of the pattern, I am *guessing* that the 3rd round begins here with more chains.  

Hopefully this makes sense, and doesn't confuse you more.  I am curious as to what you are working on, though 😁

Good luck!! 🧡 

Thanks for the reply, Cynthia. That does clear it up for me and I will try it out.

I have only been crocheting for a couple of weeks so all this is very new to me. After doing a few granny squares I decided to try a pattern with a few different stitches in it so that I could practice on a variety of stitches and not just dc and ch. The square I am trying is the Square-2 from this link:

https://elleyarns.com/crochet-a-long/#cal-blanket-section

Thanks a lot.

Aha!  Very pretty square, and now that I know you are doing a version of a granny, the instructions make even more sense.  Seems like most of the grannys I've done begin their rounds either in the center or in the corner, hence the need to SS to get to that point and begin the next round.

I also forgot to mention, that on the last SS is where you will want to pull your new color through.  When you go to YO to make the SS, grab the new color (if you didn't already know how to do that).  Yep, gotta snip the previous color and will have to weave in the tail at some point (and who doesn't love that part 🙄🤣)

Great work, especially for a beginner.  Kudos for being brave enough to jump right in and learn.  I did that too, and I've never looked back!  Have fun 🧡

Thanks again, @LeapyearCynthia, You have just answered the next question I was going to ask here. That would have been about color changes. But I think I am set for awhile now. Now I just need to practice and hopefully develop my own style. Still have a lot to learn about yarns and hooks and all sorts of things but I think this forum probably has most of the info I need. Thanks.