basket weave instructions

incandenZ

Question

Hi this is my first crochet project and deciphering the instructions has been fine so far. After chaining 3 from the previous section, the "basket weave" section is posing some problems:

"Start basket weave pattern:
Row 1: Dc in second stitch, ch2, skip next 2 stitches, dc in next 2 stitches across, ch 3, turn
Row 2: Dc in second stitch, tr in skipped stitches from previous row behind the ch2, dc in next 2 stitches across, ch3 turn
Repeat Rows 1-2  six times more."

In row 2 should the triple crochet be inserted in the gap created by the skipped stitches? Does "behind the ch2" just tell me where that gap is or does it mean to insert my hook from the reverse side? I've looked up other basket weaving crochet tutorials and they all seem to mention front or back posts which this does not. I've tried a few interpretations of the instructions and they still leave a sizeable hole which I don't think is intended.  Also, after completing the TR stitch I can complete one of the remaining DC stitches but then there isn't a proper stitch to insert the final DC into  (apart from the chain). Sorry that's a lot of questions, I'm clearly misinterpreting these rather simple instructions!

2 answers to this question

The ch3 you make at the end of the row becomes the 'turning chain' of the next row and it counts as the first dc of the new row.  So you do stitch into it to maintain your stitch count.

you do make the tr sts into the gap wher you skipped sts.  And do so by working from behind the chain.  You'll be able to see the chain in front of the tr sts.

Ive never seen basketweave done this way either.  What is the name of the pattern, and where is it?  

Ok thank you I'll give it another go. When working into the chain do you try to insert your hook under both loops of the stitch as opposed to how you'd usually only use one for a starting chain? I probably just need to keep my chains looser. Also just to be clear, do the instructions mean just to make one TR in the gap created by skipping 2 DC?

The pattern im trying is a Tabi Sock located here: https://www.treasuresmadefromyarn.com/2008/01/my-first-blog.html

I can't seem to find where the basket weave section is in the image as color makes it difficult... somewhere near the toe...