Dyeing questions

esekeith

What will give me seriously bright orange? I'm having a hard time with this color. I'm currently ruining cotton yarns at this time but if wool will give a better result, I'll change. I'm making baby booties with this (yeah, pukerama, but orange and blue are major college colors here) and I don't want the little darlin's feet to go orange. The mamas will get me.

Deb

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifTry orange kool aid. I also used orange Rit dye and got some pretty bright stuff. :D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

Joseph Chilton Pierce

Thanks SamplerLady. Do I need an acid with the KA or whatever? Do I need to add salt? (I add salt when I dye fabric, old habit).

Deb:ty

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI've been told that salt doesn't do anything with wool. It does, however, open up cotton for dyeing. But, I've read where salt helps even the uptake of dyes with wool. So, apparently it doesn't hurt but I can't vouch that it helps. I've never done it.

No, you don't need acid with Kool Aid. It's got plenty of citric acid in it.

If you check the old posts in this area, there are links upon links to sites with info on Kool Aid dyeing. What you'll notice is many of the contradict each other. So it really is kinda fool proof as far as the process goes. Some say you have to steam it, others (and I've done it) in hot tap water with the same results. Some say let it come to room temp, and I've poured it out as soon as the dye is taken up.

I'm not a scientific dyer and know that I'll probably never get the same color exactly twice without investing in scales, measuring devices, thermometers, etc., which I'm not going to do. I'm more of a "throw it in and see what happens" kind of scientist. (Which may be why I was banned from the chemisty lab)!

To me it's just fun to see what comes out of it. I have grand kids that love bright colors and that's what I usually get! :D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

Joseph Chilton Pierce

SamplerLady, :day .:cheer2

So it's all a crap shoot, eh? That's what I needed to know. I looked at the previous posts and checked the links and it was confusing because they did contradict each other.

I can now sally forth into the world of dyeing with strength, fortitude, and the knowledge that no one else knows the Secret Formula That Works Everytime.

I don't feel as dumb now. (a temporary feeling, I'm sure)

Deb

Archived