Missed a chain one starting a new round

BerkeleyMom

Question

Hello all, I am pretty new to crochet and have so far made three baskets, all the same kind, LOL. Anyway, I sometimes forget to start a new round with a CH 1 (so I finish the previous round with SL ST, and then go right into a SC). When this happens, I tear out the whole round and go back. Is there an easier way to make up for the CH 1, without tearing out the round, that perhaps I don't know about.

Thanks so much in advance.

1 answer to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!  

the only purpose of that chain 1 is as a "turning chain", which means it is used to get your working yarn up to the height it needs to be so your first sc does not appear squished.  if your sc looks ok to you and your stitch count is correct, you don't have to worry about the turning chain.  

one caveat:  by omitting the turning chain, it may be harder to identify the first sc of the round, which could lead to having the wrong stitch count.  but you can place a marker into the first sc to make it easy to identify.  (placing a marker in the first stitch of a round is often needed in any case though)

Archived