Blanket Pattern Help

boogada88

Question

I am stuck on an instruction in this pattern...it reads " With A, ch 1, sc in each tr across, ending last sc in fourth ch of beg ch-4, turn." The part that throws me off is "ending last sc in fourth ch of beg ch-4." What does this mean? I appreciate the help from you all so much!

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

When you begin a row, you start with a chain up to the height of the stitch. (Sc-ch1, hdc-ch2, dc-ch3, tr-ch4, etc.) For short stitches, like sc, the chain up doesn't count as a stitch. For tall stitches, like tr, the chain up counts as a stitch. 

When the chain up on the previous row counts as a stitch, it becomes where you do the last stitch on the current row. To do the last stitch in the previous row's chain up (in fourth ch of beg ch-4), insert your hook under the < of the chain closest to the top. Other than where to insert your hook, it's just like any other stitch. 

If you chained tightly, you may have trouble getting your hook under the top chain's strands. To loosen it, use your yarn needle. Stick the needle where you're going to insert your hook and move it around, pulling up... anything to create some space.

Or you can cheat and insert your hook in the space before the chain up. It doesn't look as nice, but is easier and usually not noticible. If you're doing an edge or border, the cheat will be completely hidden.

Does this help?

Archived