Slanting seam when crocheting spirals/rounds in alternating colours

*DebbieP*

Question

Hey Guys, 

I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me! I'm currently following a pattern to make a Zebra crochet animal head. The pattern details how to create alternating black and white continuous spirals, however the seam/ colour change is moving with each round. I have followed a technique to create jogless colour changes, but the seam is still slanting. When I finish these spirals, I believe my end point is going to be in the wrong position due to the wonky seam. 

The pattern for the rows is:

1. Black. 1 DC in each DC 

2. Black. 1 DC in each DC. Join in white. 

3. White. 1 DC in each DC

4. White. (Dc2inc,10dc) 6 times

5. Black. 1 DC in each DC

6. Black. 1 DC in each DC

7. White. 1 DC in each DC

8. White. (Dc2inc,11dc) 6 times

9. Black. 1 DC in each DC

10. Black. (Dc2inc,12dc) 6 times

11. White. 1 DC in each DC

12. White. (Dc2inc,13dc) 6 times

I have attached a picture of the work. Round 1 starts around about where the paper clip is. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

Debbie

IMG_20171105_195846.jpg

1 answer to this question

Hi Debbie, welcome to the ville!   the first thing i would try, is turning the work between rounds.  crochet stitches have a natural slant to them and if you always work in the same direction, the slant is magnified.  when you turn and work in the opposite direction, the slant is more balanced.  some people's stitches have more slant, some have less.  

Also you might look at the Planetjune site if you haven't already, as she has lots of tips for amigurumi.  

Archived