Deciphering a pattern from the '50s

Itta

Question

Hi there, I found a beautiful pattern for a lacey poncho and have done well doing the border but am stuck by this description of the 6th row:

6th row:

1 d.c. in 1st d.c., * 7 ch., 1 d.c. in each of 5 ch. loops, 7ch., 1 d.c. in next d.c.; rep. from * to end, turn with 5 ch.

This is the last row of the border pattern. The previous row (which I THINK I am doing right) is as follows:

5th row:

1 d.c. in 1st d.tr., * miss 1 d.tr., 3ch., 1 d.c., 9ch., 1 d.c. all in next d.tr. (thus making a ch. loop), miss 1 d.tr., 3ch., 1 d.c., 11ch., 1 d.c. all in next d.tr., miss 1 d.tr., 3 ch., 1 d.c., 13ch., 1 d.c. all in next d.tr., miss 1 d.tr., 3 ch., 1 d.c., 11ch., 1 d.c. all in next d.tr., miss 1 d.tr., 3ch., 1 d.c., 9ch., 1 d.c. all in next d.tr., miss 1 d.tr., 3ch., 1 d.c. in next d.tr.; rep from *, but working last d.c. in 4th of 5 turning ch.

The next row, which starts the centre pattern is as follows:

1st row: 1 d.tr., 1 ch., 1 d.tr. in 1st d.c., * 6ch., 1 d.c. in centre of 5 d.c., 6ch., 1 d.tr., (1ch., 1 d.tr.) 4 times all in single d.c.; rep. from * 8 times more, 6 ch., 1 d.c.  in centre of 5 d.c., 6 ch., 1 d.tr., (1ch., 1 d.tr.) twice all in last d.c., turn with 10ch.

So I am confused where the cluster of 5 d.c. is to correctly do the first row of the centre pattern?

Thank you for your help!

I am quite a beginner and perhaps started a bit ambitiously but it poncho is looking really great so far and I'd love to complete it.

Itta

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Where are you from? Did you find the pattern online? If yes, what's the link to the pattern? It's easier to understand when we can see what you're making. You're allowed to post a pic of what you've done so far and a link to the picture of the finished product. 

I'm in the US. There's a difference between UK crochet terms and US crochet terms. Sometimes it's difficult for me to translate UK patterns, but I think I can help with this one.

In row 6, you're doing 5 dc stitches in each of your previous row chain loops. "1 d.c. in each of 5 ch. loops"  I think you're supposed to do each of the dc stitches in the 5 middle chains, rather than in the loop. If I was doing the pattern, I would do 5 dc stitches in the loops. 

So, the 5 dc clusters are the 5 dc at the top of each chain loop.

I hope this makes sense! 

Oh wow, exceeded my expectations! Thank you! such a quick response....and here I was thinking I would have to wait a few days with very itchy fingers wanting to continue with my daughter's poncho. Very grateful. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and this pattern is in a magazine from the 50s that used to belong to my mum. It has such great patterns in it! But it definitely is a UK pattern.

Thank you again for your help. I'll post a pic of the finished product when I'm done.

xx

You're welcome! You gave enough information to decipher it. Sometimes patterns written before standards were published on the web are hard to figure out what they mean. We get so used to modern pattern terminology that patterns written differently look strange.

I can't wait to see the finished poncho!

It's beginning to look very wonky:P as I believe the thickness of the wool I'm using is different to what was recommended but I'm having such fun doing it, and learning such a lot. Luckily my daughter is only 11 and so chuffed to have her mom making her something to wear that she won't mind (I hope). My next effort will look much better because of all I have learned.

You are very kind, I will definitely send you a pic.

xx

Archived