bag pattern help

liensen

Question

Hi everyone. I have just started crochet and was working on a project (small drawstring bag) 

I found the pattern online, but i am having trouble with the last bit of it. Could someone help me out with it please....

(Sl st, ch 3, dc) all in first ch-1 sp, * ch 3, sl st in side and top lps of last dc made, [2 dc in next sp] twice; rep from * around; join in top of ch-3. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

the page link is http://purplekittyyarns.com/print/594

Thank you 

Liensen

1 answer to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Thanks for the link.  Seeing a picture really helps us to understand what you're doing.  When I get confused, it helps me to write it out in detail.  Here are the steps ...

1. (Sl st, ch 3, dc) all in first ch-1 sp.  Slip stitch into the ch-1 space.  The purpose is to move you over to the correct starting place.  Chain 3 and then do a dc in the ch-1 space.  The chain 3 is your first dc.  It counts as a stitch.  The purpose is to get to the height of the next stitch.
  2. Ch 3
  3. Sl st in side and top lps of last dc made.  Slip stitch by inserting your hook in the top and one of the strands on the post  of the dc you made just before the chain 3.  The purpose is to attach the chain 3 to the dc to make a decorative loop on top of the dc.  This is called a picot stitch.  See link below for a youtube tutorial.
  4. [2 dc in next sp] twice.  Do 2 dc in the next ch-1 space.  Then do 2 dc in the ch-1 space after that.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 around.
  6. Join in top of ch-3.  Slip stitch to the top of the chain 3 you did in step 1.
  7. Fasten off.  Weave in ends.

I hope this helps!  I'm guessing that the picot stitch in step 3 is what is confusing.  There are some youtube videos and some written instructions for the picot stitch.  I like Moogly's video.  Here's the link ...

Let us know if this is what you needed.  Also, please post a pic of your finished bag.  We'd love to see it.  :)

Archived