Trouble in crochet pattern

Angelaturky@gmail.com

Question

I have bought a new crochet book. But the pattern in it is so divided unlike what I worked on with other patterns. I want to do a cardigan and each piece of it is done alone the back the sleeves the front side. My main problem was with the sleeves after I did the back of the cardigan alone I had to add the sleeves the problem is that I don't understand the pattern on how to connect the sleeve with the back side because the only part connected in the 1st ch and she mentioned both sleeves together 1 as 1st row and 1 as second row how can two sleeves be together?

The pattern is :

Back

Using A and 4mm hook make 37ch

Row1: 1htr .. until end

Row2: same till 15 cm

Do not fasten off

Add sleeves to back: (here is the part I'm not getting)

Make 20ch, turn.

Row1: 1 hyt in third ch from hook. 1 hyt in each st across back to end of row, make 20ch for second sleeve, turn. ( so both sleeves are together it doesn't make sense)

Row2: 1 htr in third ch from hook, 1 htr in each st to end of row.

Row3: 2ch, 1 htr in each st to end.

Rep row 3 until a total of 12 rows have been compeleted on right sleeve, 11 rows on left sleeve.

Fasten off

She never mentioned fastening off and moving from a side to a side so they are together that's weird. Plus how is it connected to the back their is no slipstiches or anything the arm will fly around? From this part of pattern she moved to front were we do the front side of the sleeves

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

What's the pattern's name?  Where did you find it (if online, please provide the link or if in a book/magazine, please provide the name, date, designer, etc.)?  The reason I ask is that it's easier to answer when we can see a picture.  I'm going to try to answer without seeing it, but I may be wrong.

This is a pattern in UK crochet terminology.  Since I'm more familiar with US terms, I had to look up "hyt".  I couldn't find it.  So, I'm going to assume that it's a typo and should read "htr".

From what I'm reading, you're making 15 cm of htr rows for the back.  When you reach the end of the row, instead of fastening off, you're making a chain off of the end to start a sleeve.  Next, you come back across the sleeve to the back rows.  Then you continue across the back rows to the other end of row.  Without fastening off, you make another chain off the end of the row to start the second sleeve.  You come back across the sleeve, then across the back, then across the first sleeve 11 times.

You're adding a sleeve to each side of the back.  The back and both sleeves are all done continuously, not in pieces.

Here's what it'll look like ( | is htr and o is chain) ...

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

ooooo||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||ooooo

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

(I know the sleeves look lopsided, but that's only because of the typing,  Since chains don't have height, it'll look even with yarn.)

I hope this helps!  Let us know.

Oww now I get it I have to go all the way back to the left side that's what was missing in the pattern that made me confused. This pattern is from the book cute and easy crochet baby clothes by nicki trench. And for hyt sorry it was a typo mistake it should be htr. Thank u so much for your help I totally got it now I wish she has mentioned that I should go back with stch count like the us patterns I would have known. Anyway thank you so much

Archived