Changing colors

sandyd0814

Question

I have a question about changing colors in a crochet pattern.  I have made an afghan with bobbles that make up the design.  I understand how to change colors, and carry along the color, to make the bobbles different from the background color.  What I don't understand is how to get the yarn back to the beginning of the row.

Say row 1 has bobbles in it; I carry the bobble color through to the end of the row, making the appropriate bobbles as I go along.   Then for row 2 I flip it over and go back; there are no bobbles in this row as they would be on the back side of the afghan.  When I go to start row 3 - the bobble color is all the way on the other side of the afghan.

Am I supposed to carry the bobble color back to the beginning of the right side for the entire length of row 2?

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

You have a two choices when it comes to carrying (or not carrying) color changes.

• You can cut the color at the end of each bobble row.  This means weaving in more ends.  If you're spelling words and/or making pictures.  I would cut the color at the end of each one.  It's much easier to hide the ends in the bobbles, because they are the same color. However, that means weaving in even more ends.
  • You can carry the color back with you when you do the sc row.  However, it will show through and to me, it's a waste of yarn.

I've done a bobble graphgan.  I did it all in one color, because that's what the person wanted.  I thought about changing colors for the bobbles, if I do another one.  If you want to take the time to change colors for the bobbles, then take the time to weave in more ends.  Yes, it's going to be a pain, but it'll look so much better than dragging the color back.  Just remember that if it's worth doing, then it's worth taking the time to do it right.

You can also use multiple balls of the bobble color.  That way you can have one for each section.  Then you can drag the color back to the beginning of that section.  It wouldn't be ask much as dragging it back across the entire afghan.  For example, if you're spelling a word, use a ball for that word.  Start it at the beginning of the word, drag it the distance of the word and cut it at the end of making the word.  However, I would only do this if the difference between the background color and bobble color isn't drastic.  If there's a big difference, then dragging the color, even a short distance, will show through.

Archived