Size is different

Keebler680

Question

I am making a blanket using corner to corner rectangles, 24 in 3 colors. I made the first 8 in one color and started on my next color and the sizes are completely different, almost double. I am using Red Heart Super Saver for the whole thing and my tension has been consistent. I went down a hook size and it is closer but still big. I think going down another size might make it too small. I've read a lot of reviews and a lot of people don't like the brand but haven't read this as a complaint. Does anyone have any ideas?

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Yes, it is a common complaint with both RHSS and Caron Pounders.  Different colors are different thicknesses.  The biggest difference that I found was in shades.  Darker colors tend to be thinner, while lighter colors tend to be really thick.  I made a granny square blanket using lavender and dark purple.  I wound up alternating the colors in each square just to get them close to the same size.

I found that other big name and store brand acrylics don't have the big thickness differences.  That's why I prefer using Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice, Deborah Norville Everyday, and Michael's Loops and Threads.

I'm having the opposite issue, the light colors are thinner. I prefer Vanna's Choice too but my son picked the colors, just told him to keep the same brand and they were on sale lol. It's like my trial run blanket, I just never expected that big of a difference. I know better for the next. Thank you

The only thing you can do is make the first color your gauge.  Measure the middle 4" across and the middle 4" high to get the number of stitches and number of rows you make in a 4" square.  (Don't measure near the sides, because it isn't accurate.) 

Next make a swatch of at least 5" x 5" in the next color.  Measure the middle 4" across and high.  If it isn't the same counts as your gauge, adjust your hook size and do it again.  Keep going until you get the same stitch and row count.

Archived