Help with a pattern

Pippacrombs

Question

Hi! This is my first post here, so sorry if it's in the wrong place or anything.

I have been crocheting a monkey from a pattern and there is one part of the pattern that I don't understand. It says:

Start with an adjustable ring and chain 6.

Round 1: 1dc into second chain from hook, 1dc into each of the next 4 sts along the chain, work 3dc into ring, pull gently on the yarn end to close the ring. Continue along the other side with 1dc into each of the next 5 sts along the chain (13 sts). Place marker here and move it up after each round.

I thought that this meant:

1. Make the ring and chain 6

2. Skip one chain and 1dc into the next 5

3. Work 3 dc into the ring

4. Close the ring

5. 1dc into the 5 dc from step 2

But this only leaves you with 8 in the round rather than 13. I'm pretty sure that the problem is the last 5 dc (in step 5) but I don't know where I'm supposed to do those stitches if not into the 5dc from step 2.

What do I need to be doing?

I hope that all of that makes sense. Thank you in advance!

4 answers to this question

Hi Pippa, welcome ! You posted in the right place.

I wonder if you are supposed to do the five stitches into the opposite side of the chain. That should make a teardrop shape.

What is the name and location of the pattern?

Thanks for replying!

It's a kit called get crafty crochet cheeky monkey kit from hobbycraft that I got for my birthday. I've never crocheted before but I've been able to get though it all apart from this bit. I'll try your suggestion!

Theses are photos of how the monkey should look when it's done. The bit that I'm stuck on is the muzzle.

post-78296-0-20321200-1472828918_thumb.jpg

post-78296-0-16405700-1472829002_thumb.jpeg

I'm glad it worked, I was not sure it would!  I think it is rather unclear, since it says "Continue along the other side with 1dc into each of the next 5 sts along the chain"....they should have specified that you are working into the other edge of the chain.  

Archived