sc in st or sc in sp

Vanessa Wee

Question

Hi all,

Im following a pattern diagram for a shrug. Attached an extract from the pattern. I need some help. Should the sc be on the 3rd ch of the ch5 in the row below or should i sc into the ch-5 sp?? How to determine that base on the diagram??

post-77609-0-98749000-1462406638_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!

It is really up to you.  do it both ways and see which you prefer the look of.  almost always when there is a chain space or loop like this, you are just supposed to work into the space.  this allows some flex in the fabric as the stitch can slide along the chains.   but sometimes you need to keep the stitch centered so you do work into a stitch.  

that looks like the edge of the piece?  like this is the last stitch of the row?

if it is, then you probably need to stitch into the chain stitch, not into the space.  because i think if you just go into the space, the dc will want to slide down toward the sc.  you want it to not slide around, but to stay in place to preserve the arch that the chain5 forms.

there really isn't a rule of thumb that i know of.  just have to try and see what looks best.  

What is the name and location of the pattern you are making?  knowing more about the whole piece would be helpful in advising you.  

Archived