Buttonhole help

PaigePilling

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

It depends on where you're putting the buttonhole.  I have 3 basic methods.  Hopefully others will chime in with more.

If I'm doing a buttonhole on a sweater or cardigan, I make the holes in the edging or create a buttonhole band.  First I edge the whole thing with SC.  Next I do a second round of SC, making a chain over where I want the buttonholes to be and skipping the same number of stitches.  I test the button under the chain to make sure it fits, but isn't too big.  I adjust the length of the chain and the number of skipped stitches to fit the button.  Sometimes I make a third round of SC just to make the chain sturdier.  Button bands are just rows of SC, with the chain & skipped stitches, instead of an entire SC edging.  To get the holes evenly spaced, measure the area, leaving a bit of room at the top and bottom.  Divide the length by the number of buttons.

If I'm doing a buttonhole on a purse or bag, I make a chain loop.  First I edge the whole thing with SC.  On the last round of SC edging, I make a long chain.  Then I continue with SC without skipping any stitches.  This creates a loop.  Test the button to make sure it fits.  Adjust the size of the loop to fit the button.

If I'm doing a buttonhole in the middle of something, like a tea towel topper, I have a different method.  I crochet up to the buttonhole, turn and crochet back.  This creates a short row.  Go back and forth an odd number of times.  My tea towel topper buttons are big, so I crochet 5 short rows.  I then slip stitch down the inside edge of the short rows to get back to where I first turned.  Next I crochet short rows on the other side of the buttonhole.  When I've got the same number of rows, I crochet across the whole thing, which joins the top of the buttonhole.

If any of this is confusing, please let me know!

Archived