Pattern description confusing me. please help

Denise Tuohy

Question

I am working a pattern and have come to the decrease for armhole stage.

The starting dc's is 92

It tells me to do the following

Dec for armhole in each side on every row as follows

4 dc 1 time,  3dc 0-0-1-1-2-3 times, 2dc 0-1-1-3-3-4 times, 1dc 1-3-4-4-5-4 times

ending with 82 dc on the row

I have no idea what this means or how to work it. I have not come across a pattern using numbers and dashes to describe the work yet. please help.

5 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

for the first row of decreases, you will decrease by 4 at the beginning and ending edge.  after that, the different numbers refer to the different sizes.  

to decrease at the beginning of the row, slip stitch over the 4 sts, and just leave the last 4 sts unworked; you will have 8 fewer sts than you started with.  

are you making the smallest size?  

what is the name and location of the pattern?  

Do yourself a favor and take a highlighter to the pattern (if you've printed it out). That whole string of numbers is  (small, medium, large...) so the first one is your size. It may say "0" which just means to go on to the next instruction.

For instance a pattern that says "(0-2-3) dc, shell in next shell..."  would mean the small size doesn't start the row with any double crochets; it goes straight to the shell, or what have you.

it is the DROPS tunic with lace pattern found at

http://www.garnstudio.com/includes/pattern-print.php?id=6065&cid=17

I am making the small size

Ok, so you use the first number in each sequence.  Once you have done the decrease of 4 at each edge which is for all sizes, you only have 84 sts.  the next sequence has a 0 for the size small, so skip that entirely.  the next one also has a 0 for small, skip it too. the next seqence has a 1 for sz small, and says to decrease one st at each edge, so you do this one time:  just do one row where you decrease by one st at each edge.  at this point the stitch count should be 82.  so if your stitch count matches up, you know you've done the right thing.  

Next you work even (a stitch in each stitch) until the piece is 21" long.  then you start first shoulder.  Let us know if you need assistance when you get there :-)  

Archived