Rick Rack Baby Ripple Blanket

Annika Liv Erikson

Question

Hello! I'm new to Crochetville, and really appreciate your help!

I'm trying to make a ripple baby blanket, I'm very rusty, and wondering this: I don't have the right number of stitches at the end of my 1st row. I'm confused, because in the 3 DC (the peak) I am adding 1 stitch, and in skipping 2 (the valley) I'm loosing 2 stitches, but the pattern expects almost the same number at the end, minus 1 from the start. How can that be possible?

I've tried twice but I get 144 at the end not 156. Please help!

Here is the pattern:

BLANKET With A, ch 157. Row 1 (Right Side): Dc in 2nd ch from hook, skip next ch, * dc in next 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch, dc in next 4 ch **, skip next 2 ch; repeat from * to last 2 ch, end at **, skip next ch, dc in last ch – 156 dc.

Row 2: Working in back loops only, ch 1, turn, dc in first dc, skip next dc, * dc in next 4 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 4 dc **, skip next 2 dc; repeat from * to last 2 dc, end at **, skip next dc, dc in last dc. Repeat Row 2 for pattern stitch, working * 2 rows with B, 2 rows with C, 2 rows with D, 2 rows with E; repeat from * twice more. Repeating Row 2, work 68 rows with A. * Work 2 rows with E, 2 rows with D, 2 rows with C, 2 rows with B; repeat from * twice more. Work 2 rows with A. Fasten off. FINISHING Weave in ends.

Abbreviations A, B, C = Color A, B, C; ch = chain; cm = centimeters; dc = double crochet; mm = millimeters; st(s) = stitch(es); * or ** = repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated. 

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

You're actually adding 2 dc when you do the peak and skipping 2 stitches in the valley.  Your hills are sk (valley), 4 dc up the hill, 3dc (peak), 4 dc down the hill, sk (valley) = 11 stitches.  Plus there's a dc at the end of each row.  14 hills + 2 dc ends = (11 x 14) + 2 = 156.  Every row should have 156 stitches.   

Since the pattern calls for a ch-1 turning chain, it doesn't count the turning chain as a stitch.  I've seen this before, but it's unusual.  The norm is to ch-3 turning chain to get the height of a dc and it counts as a stitch.  (This was just discussed yesterday here.)  Your pattern is expecting you to draw up the loop in the turning chain to the height of a dc and not count it.  So, when you chain 157, the first chain is your first turning chain and doesn't count.  Make sure that you don't make a stitch in the turning chain.

When I do a ripple, I count twice for each row.  For each hill I say to myself "1 up, 2 up, 3 up, 4 up", "peak", "1 down, 2 down, 3 down, 4 down".  (I also say valley, but I've never done one where the valley is skipping, instead of dc3tog.)  Then at the end of each row, I count the stitch tops to make sure that I have the same number each row.  I then look at each peak and valley to make sure they look like they are lined up.  It's so easy to lose count on a ripple.  The extra counting while you're doing each row is worth it.  When you need to rip it out (I do this a lot for ripples), then it'll only be a short distance, instead of multiple rows.

Another thing you can do is write the instructions for a couple of rows out on paper (without the color changes.)  Sometimes spelling out repeats helps to make a pattern click.  For example, dc, sk, dc, dc, dc, dc, 3dc, dc, dc, dc, dc, sk, sk, .... dc.

Does this help or are you still confused?  If you're still confused, what isn't clicking? 

Archived