Need Crochet Help Pattern and Yarn Weight

klg1963

Question

I've been crocheting for about a year. I don't know how to read a pattern. Self taught and Youtube. So I want to make an easy ripple baby afghan for my niece. I'm not a big fan of decreases so I found this pattern. I need to know if I'm interpreting it correctly. I read it that there will be 7 double crochets, between stitches. then skip a chain and start the 3 dc in 4 chains. skip a chain and back to the 7 dc. I'm not fastening off so I'm just going to chain 2 same color and turn. YES?

Row 1 (RS):  With light blue ch 155, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, 3 dc in next ch, *skip next ch, [dc in next ch, skip next ch] 7 times**, 3 dc in each of next 4 chs, repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, 3 dc in each of last 2 chs, fasten off and turn.
Read more at http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-Afghans/Sun-and-Sand-Afghan#RtvvsQcZtL5YQdEb.99

I guess I don't know what the difference is with the * vs the ** and the [ ].

Pattern calls for 4 ply 7 oz and I'm using 4 py 6oz... Does that make a difference? How?

Your help is appreciated. 

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

You've got several questions.  I'm going to answer you backwards (easiest first.)

1. The ply on yarn refers to the number of strands twisted together.  The yarn's weight refers to the thickness of the yarn.  A 4-ply is typically a worsted weight (category 4), but not necessarily.  Here's a chart.  The fiber (acrylic, wool, cotton, blend, etc.) tells you what the yarn is made out of.  The ounces refers to how much the skein weighs and the yards/meters refers to how long the skein is.  Both tell you how much yarn you're buying.  I prefer to use the yards  to determine the amount of yarn I'll need.  So, comparing 4-ply is nice, but not enough.  Compare the fiber and weight category.  A 6 oz skein may be less yarn or may be a lighter yarn.  Compare the yards.  When in doubt buy 1 or 2 skeins extra.  Here's more yarn information.

2. * is used to denote a repeat.  ** is used to denote where to stop the last repeat to do something different.  So, you'll repeat *skip next ch, [dc in next ch, skip next ch] 7 times**, 3 dc in each of next 4 chs, repeat from * until the last one.  On the last one, you'll repeat up until **, and then you'll do 3 dc in each of last 2 chs.   Here's a handy guide.

3.  I find that writing out a pattern first helps me to understand it.  I would write it like....

2 dc in 4th ch from hook, 3 dc in next ch, *skip next ch, [dc in next ch, skip next ch] 7 times**, 3 dc in each of next 4 chs, repeat from * across ending last repeat at **, 3 dc in each of last 2 chs

2dc, 3dc, *sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, 3dc, 3dc, 3dc, 3dc* ... sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, dc, sk, 3dc, 3dc

THank you so much. I did buy extra so I'd have enough yarn and same dye lot.

Didn't realize all the yarn lingo. I see now on the yarn label the gauge. It's close to the pattern yarn but much softer (babyesque).  

Yes it does help to write it out. I usually do that but I didn't know what all the symbols meant for repeat. 

Archived