Pattern help for beginner/intermediate

paigeken

Question

I have been crocheting on and off for about 2 years and would consider myself a beginner/intermediate.   I am working on an afghan with a lot of different stitches to learn/practice and I am stuck.  The place I usually get stuck on any pattern is where to place a stitch.  I thought I would try this forum for help instead of bothering the poor woman at work who helps me every day :)

I feel like I basically understand this stitch, except for one or two parts. 

For this one I feel like I basically understand the instructions, but I have underlined the part that confuses me.   As you can see,  it is essentially, a placement question.   If anyone could help explain, that would be great.   Thanks in advance.

It is:

Cable Pattern
Row 4:
Ch 1, sc in first sc, *ch 3, skip next 2
unworked sc, sc in next sc, TURN and work
sc in each ch of the ch-3 just made, slip st in
the next sc (one cable made), TURN; working
behind the cable, sc in each of the 2 skipped
sc, skip the sc that was made afterthe ch-3;
repeat from * across to last sc, sc in last sc,
turn—58 cables.

Any help is appreciated. 

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

I think i understand this but don't know if i can explain it. I think there may be a tutorial somewhere for it. What is the name and location of the pattern?

eta---I googled and think I found it, is it https://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3152.pdf    ?  

this makes a little sort of loop---aack i can't decribe it in words!  well anyway I think I have seen some kind of tutorial for it, so I will try to find that and come back.  

Eureka!  The designer has videos for the stitches on her site, they are both right and left handed.  Click on Videos and then on Aran Crochet   http://www.bonniebay.com   Very clear and concise, love the videos, must bookmark and remember them  :D

I located that by looking up the pattern on Ravelry and there are a lot of comments, including where she posted to help people with the pattern.   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/holiday-cables-throw

Wow,  thank you so much.  I was actually really close but that tutorial video made it crystal clear.  However, it becomes very obvious to me that my computer searching skillsmight  need more help than my crocheting skills.  I tried to look up tutorials for this and could not, yet you found not only the exact pattern, but a video tutorial.   Could you explain how you did that so I can do that for myself in the future?   I tried typing in the pattern section I copied above, no results.  I tried typing in "crochet cable stitch" but found all different types.   What is your secret?   And thanks again sooo much for the help.  I think I found my new favorite online forum.

Have a great week!

Aw shucks!   :blush   So glad I could help you with it, but it was not too complicated really!  Since I didn't know the name of the pattern, I started out  by googling  part of the pattern you posted, "sc in each ch of the ch-3 just made, slip st inthe next sc (one cable made), TURN; workingbehind the cable, sc in each of the 2 skipped",  and the Red Heart pattern pdf came up.  Unfortunately the pattern doesn't include any real good info on exactly how making this cable looks. So I looked up the pattern on Ravelry and found the designer's comments leading to her site and she has those great videos.  I know I have seen discussions here and/or on Ravelry about these cables but I don't think I had seen the designer's site before, or at least not the videos.  

If you sign up on Ravelry and look around in the pattern database, there are all kinds of helpful things posted there.  Quite a few designers have discussion groups where they drop in to help with questions, or post other ways to contact them for help.  Of course we can often help each other quickly and w/o having to ask the designer  :compute

And let's not lose sight of the most important thing:  you really had pretty much figured this out on your own based on only the written pattern, so that is great!   :h5

Archived