1st sweater help!

puglet

Question

Hi there,

Thanks for reading this. Have followed quite a few patterns before but am really confused about the decrease on the back pannel of this sweater. It says to create the neck decrease finishing each side separately. Does this mean I complete one shoulder side fasten off and then pick up again in the middle to reverse and complete the other side? Surley that will give me a gap in my work and back neckline? Super confused!  Any advice much appreciated... I have posted the bit from the pattern and highlighted it in red. 

Thanks again :)

Claire

BACK PIECE:

Worked back and forth.
Work 83-90-100-107-121-132 loose ch on hook size 4.5 mm with Cotton Light. 
ROW 1: Work 1 tr in 4th ch from hook (= 2 tr), then work 1 tr in each of the next 2-2-5-5-5-2 ch, * skip 1 ch, work 1 tr in each of the next 6 ch *, repeat from *-* 10-11-12-13-15-17 more times = 70-76-85-91-103-112 tr. 
Then work 5-5-5-4-5-5 more rows with 1 tr in every tr (= 6-6-6-5-6-6 rows in total with tr) – READ CROCHET INFO. Continue with PATTERN as follows: Work A.1 over 4 tr, A.2 until 3 tr remain, A.3 over the remaining 3 tr from previous row. Continue with diagrams A.1 – A.3 back and forth for 8 rows, there are now 8 holes diagonally in height (= first stripe with lace pattern), and 1 row with tr's. 
REMEMBER THE CROCHET TENSION! Then continue with stripes in tr and lace pattern the same way but work according to diagram A.x, AT THE SAME TIME when piece measures 32-32-32-40-41-41 cm and when working a section with tr, insert a marker in each side for armholes. Continue with pattern as before. When piece measures 49-50-51-60-62-63 cm, beg neck dec and finish each shoulder separately as follows from RS: Work 1 row with tr over the first 21-24-27-30-36-39 tr, turn piece and dec 1 tr – READ DECREASE TIP. Work the rest of row. When piece measures 51-52-53-62-64-65 cm, back piece is finished. Fasten off. Work the other shoulder the same way but reversed. 

Pattern link: http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/pattern.php?id=6460〈=en 

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Yes there will be a slight gap, you want the back neck to have a shallow gap to make it a rounded neckline. You can see this in the schematic. You do work each shoulder separately and looks like this part is only a couple of rows, a few cm.

Archived