Help with a Pattern!

Lisa Brock Warteman

Question

I don't know where else to get help. I bought a hat pattern and attempted to make it, but failed. I don't know what I am doing wrong. If I got the spiral going, then it was tiny (like barely bigger than a coffee cup). This is when I kept the FPDC & BPDC on top of each other each round (that's the best way to explain it) which made a kind of spiral but did not look like entirely the pattern. Now, in the pattern, she uses 2 strands of yarn and I only used 1. At the end of Rnd. 4, mine was the same diameter of hers that she shows in the pattern. From there, I could not figure it out apparently. So, tried alternating the stitches FPDC & BPDC. This made a bigger crown/hat, but there was no spiral. I would really like to make this hat, but cannot figure out the pattern (or the pattern has a mistake in it). Here is the link to the pattern, but not the pattern itself, just the place where it can be purchased. One thing that leads me to believe there is some kind of mistake in the pattern is that Rnds 4 & 5-15 are listed separately, but they appear to be the same.  I know I cannot post the pattern.  It is basically, a spiral pattern of BPDC & FPDC stitches.  It starts out with 18 DC in center of ring, then increases with FPDC & BPDC for 36 stitches, then to 72 and stays at 72.  Rnd 4 says to skip one stitch (apparently, I don't understand which stitch to skip or since there are 4 stitches that are like one, am I skipping all 4?), then BPDC 4 times in each next 4 stitches (wich I think I figured out means that you are putting one stitch (4 times) over the top of 4 stitches.  In any event, mine never looked quite like the pattern.  To understand this pattern, someone else would have to make it because it's too hard to figure out otherwise.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. https://www.etsy.com/listing/89739171/instant-download-spiral-hat-pattern?ref=shop_home_feat_1

3 answers to this question

Archived