Graphgan/Crochet By Numbers Help Please

Karen Berti

Question

Purchasing a Graphgan that is already premade is a cinch. I would like to design one of my own using a personal photo as a gift. I do not want to send it to someone and have them make the graphgan pattern for me. I know how to take the photo and pixal/make it into a graph. No problem. What I am looking for is an actual program that I can purchase to use to generate a color key for me so all I have to do is go to a yarn store and match up the colors and assign them to the symbol/number key.

They have them... people are charging big money to have this done, yet for the number of graphgans/crochet by number that I wish to do for gifts for my kids using personal photos of special memories for them... I cannot warrent $50-$100 each to have someone do this for me is rediculous, plus the cost of the yarn and time. I could purchase my own program for this.

I've looked all over on line. I've found nothing and the ones that do this will not give up the information. Can anyone help me? I have 15 grandchildren. 5 Children and this is a project that is near and dear to my heart.

Please... If you can help me it would mean a lot.

I would love to do one for my Mom. She has Dementia and I would love to make one that has my Dad and her wedding picture on it. This way she can be wrapped in a loving memory.

Thank you!!

1 answer to this question

I used software called K-G Chart that was free at the time.    You import your image, tell it how many colors to use.  I believe it triggers off DMC colors, but it will tell you how many pixels of each color you'll need.  For me, each pixel is an SC, so I generally take some worsted weight yarn and estimate how many stitches in a yard of yarn by just doing maybe 10 rows or 10 stitches.

Add in extra yarn for end cutting.  I have loads of ends in a graphghan.

I think if you end up buying extra, places like Michael's will take back the extra whole skeins you may have purchased.

https://www.iktsoft.net/kgchart-en/kgchart/

Archived