Don't understand abbreviaction

Omgrowngirl

Question

Hi I am fairly new to crochet and have been working on a popcorn flower pattern. I've made 75 flowers and don't know how to make them into a square for a blanket. I found one pattern on 365 granny squares project and it shows the popcorn flower I made and it's in a square. My problemis that I don't understand what she's telling me to do. It says to make the corner 3tc, 3 x 3 dc, 3tc, 3dtc 2 ch 3dtc. Can anyone explain this to me? I know I make 3 treble crochet, but I've never seen 3 x 3 dc (can anyone tell me what this means then I think the dtc is for a double treble and I'm ok with that.) also will this complete one corner and then I'll be lined up start at the beginning of the next corner and is this pattern written to go stitch by stitch....I know some patterns have you work into the same stitch. I'm just really frustrated and lost right now. Thank you for any help. felecia

7 answers to this question

OK.....first of all, i wouldn't really call this a pattern, it is just someone's notes on what they did.

Second, it is using UK crochet terms which are different than US terms. Look in the reference section here for a list of terms.

3 x3 dc just means to make three sets of three dc.

made it square by working sets of 3 dc, tc or dtc between each popcorn stitch - 3 tc, 3 x 3 dc, 3 tc, 3 dtc 2 ch 3 dtc for the corner, repeat 3 more times and join. It was then finished off with a round of tc.

So, the blog says the above.

Between each popcorn she did three stitches. In US terms, she did 3 double, 3x3 singles (in other words, working in between the popcorns, do 3 sets of 3singles), 3 doubles. Then for the corner, in one space between popcorns, do 3 triples, chain two, and 3 triples , all in that one space. After that, you start over with the same sequence.

You should be set up correctly to work across to the next corner. Count the spaces between popcorns in the last round of flower and it should be divisible by four.

Go ahead and give it a try, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you sooo much!! I'm glad to know the terms are different. Im self taught thru trail and error (a lot of error ) but I feel ok most of the time but couldn't understand why I totally didn't get her pattern. Thank you because I understand yours and will be doing a test run today! I'll send you a pic. Have a great day!

Archived