Hooded Cowl Stitch Count

Kenkudaki

Question

I'm having trouble with a hooded cowl. I start with 56 chains.  I join with a slip stitch to begin crocheting in the round. 

Round 1: Chain 2, (counts as first hdc), hdc in each chain all around, slip stitch into first hdc.

Round 2: Chain 2 (counts as first hdc), *hdc in the back loop of next, hdc in the front loop of next, repeat from * all around, slip stitch into first hdc.

After I chain 2 (to count as my first hdc), which stitch do I join to with a hdc to start my next round?  I end up with too many stitches, and I think I'm accidentally adding them at the beginning and/or end of my round.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the ville!

You join the round by the slip stitch at the end of round one. This is made into the first stitch of round one, which is actually the chain 2 at  the beginning of round one.
At that point round one is complete.

Then, to start round two you chain two. This is counted as the first hdc of round two. Therefore you do not make a hdc in the first hdc of round one, the hdc that you put the slip stitch in. Move on to the second hdc of round one and put an hdc there. Hdc around, and at the end of round two, slip stitch into the chain two that started the round.....remember this counts as the first hdc of round two.

when slip stitching into the chains, go into the top chain.  

Archived