Crocheting in the round - completely confused!

Elysia McWatters

Question

Hey I hope I can explain this well enough that someone can help!

I've made plenty of amigurumi and crocheting in the round before (although I'm still a bit of an amateur and don't really understand the maths behind the patterns) but I've just started this pattern and I'm a bit confused. Every round ends in a slip stitch and the following round starts with a ch1, sc in same sp. Everytime I try and follow the pattern I end up with the wrong amount of stitches :/ I tried doing it my own way, ended up with right stitches, but then I got to a certain point where the pattern and colour changes and the stitches were all in the wrong spot so I've realised I really need to follow the pattern...

Here's a small sample of the pattern (the start of where I am now stuck) :

Note: I currently have 16st in my ring and need to continue with these...

Rnd 1: Working BL’s only this rnd, ch 1, 1 sc in same sp, 1 sc in next sc, sc2tog, *1 sc in each of next 2 sc, sc2tog, rep from * 2 more times, Sl st to first sc. (12 sc)

Rnd 2: ch 1, 1 sc in same sp, 1 sc in next sc, sc2tog, *1 sc in each of next 2 sc, sc2tog, rep from * once more, Sl st to first sc. (9 sc) Stop to fill with filling.

Rnd 3: ch 1, 1 sc in same sp, sc2tog, *1 sc in next sc, sc2tog, rep from * once more, Sl st to first sc. (6 sc)

I think part of the problem is I dont quite understand how to sc in same sp?

What purpose does the slip stitching and ch-1 sc in same sp have?

Cheers :)

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

you slip stitch to join the round, to make it a complete circle.

You chain 1 to get your working yarn up to the height of an sc.

Does the pattern expalin what it means by sc in same space?  I think it means in the first sc of previous round but that's a funny way to say it.

is the pattern free online?  if so post a link to it.  

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quick!

Unfortunately she doesn't explain that same sp thing and the pattern isn't free. I've emailed the patterns author but the time difference means I won't get a response for another 14hrs :(

I will try out your suggestion and see if that works!

Thanks again!

I use that instruction in my sc in the round patterns, and yes, it is as Magic says.

It must be a non US expression. I know that UK and Australian patterns use it.

Well, maybe it's just me! lol

I expect a pattern to describe the stitch if I'm to work into a stitch, and only use the word space if it is actually a space ( a chain space or working in between sts for example).  but ya know, I do vastly prefer diagrams, and this is an example of why I do  :P

Hey guys,

You were right and the pattern worked out! Thanks so much for your help!

Normally the amigurumi patterns I follow are really simple with simple short abbreviations. I'm australian but I'm self taught and I just buy patterns. This pattern was actually american but written completely different to all the other american patterns I've used. This pattern did come with diagrams though, but I didn't really understand how to read them. They looked backwards to the written instructions (ie. I crochet to my left if I follow the written instructions but the diagram looked like you had to crochet to the right?) or is that how you read them?

Anyway I have a few other patterns from the same author, so hopefully they'll be easier to understand!

Thanks again!

Well, maybe it's just me! lol

I expect a pattern to describe the stitch if I'm to work into a stitch, and only use the word space if it is actually a space ( a chain space or working in between sts for example).  but ya know, I do vastly prefer diagrams, and this is an example of why I do  :P

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't say 'same space', I say 'same place'. I am not sure that that is any different though.

Archived