Variation of single crochet; not sure of name

cftL

Question

Hi All,

I am making a stuffed animal turtle using a pattern from a book. There is an instruction in the pattern for the turtle tummy that I am not sure of. The part I am not sure of is in round 3, but I am going to include what it says in rounds 1 and 2 so you can see what comes before it.

Round one is, ch 4, 14 dc in 4th ch from hk, place marker (no problem here)

Round two is: [sc in next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] repeat around (still no problem)

Round 3 is (until piece measures 5 inches in diameter): sc in sc sts, 2 sc between 2-sc shells.

The part in italics is the part I don't understand. What does "between 2-sc shells" mean? The only thing I can guess is to keep going (sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) repeatedly until it reaches 5 in diameter. Is this what it means or does "between 2-sc shells" mean something in crochet language?

Thanks!

cftL

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

in round 2, you had "2 sc in next st".  in round 3 when it says "2-sc shell"  it is referring to those spots where you made the 2 dc into one stitch.  so you will place 2 sc in between those 2 sc, not into the top of the stitches but in between them.  There isn't really a space there, but just put your hook in between the two stitches.  

They are using the term "shell" in a sort of unorthodox way, to me the "2-sc shell" is barely a shell at all.  it is an increase, and they could have called it a "2-sc increase" and been clearer.  Also saying between the shells is misleading, because you are not working between shells---there are plain sc between the shells---you are working into each shell.  

Hopefully not confusing you too much with my critique of the terms!  here are some illustrations of what "shell" usually means in crochet, just fyi http://crochet.about.com/od/learntocrochet/tp/shell-stitch.htm

Thanks magiccrochetfan,

I think I understand from your explanation. I looked at the link and saw the examples of shells. Turns out the scarf I made had shell stiches in it, I just didn't know that was what they were called.

For the above pattern, would I still put single crochet stitches in the 2 "shell" (or increase) stitches, as well as putting 2 sc stitches between them? Otherwise, I don't think the diameter would increase. Am I thinking correctly?

Kathy

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the need to sc into the 2 sc of the "shell"!  Yes, you do need to do that, because you are correct, it won't actually increase otherwise.  it does say to sc in each sc.

I'm just curious what book is this?  

Thank you! Now I can crochet the turtle tummy with confidence that I know what I am doing!

The book is "Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies" by Jane Davis. It was printed in 2003. I got it from our local library.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!

Archived