Bernat Mosaic (discontinued)

Laraine

Question

Tis me again with hopes of suggestions. :)

I have 12 skeins of Bernat Mosiac yarn.

• Brand: Bernat
  • Composition: 100% acrylic
  • Weight: 3.5 oz, 209 yds
  • Knit Gauge: 4 in = 18 stitches on size 8 needles
  • Recommended Crochet Hook Size: H8

I hope to make a lapghan or throw out of it.  Any suggestions for patterns that go a long way with not so much yarn?  This is the self patterning type yarn.  It's not as thick as worsted.  More towards the DK range.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Laraine

6 answers to this question

if a square shape is ok ( ie not a rectangle) you could do a corner to corner patern.  do the increases until you've used half the yarn, then start the decreases and the remaining yarn will be enough to finish.  the diagonal box/brick/crazy stitch is interesting to do and should look good in the yarn, i think.  http://calosiknits.blogspot.com/2012/11/photo-tutorial-for-diagonal-box-stitch.html  is a tutorial for how to make a small square out of it, just keep going to make a larger square.  

Well, you have enough for a c to c....the only question is, how big will it be? If you don't mind experimenting, you could go ahead and use half the yarn and see if that is a size you like, if so finish it, if not rip it out.

You could also stretch it by using a bigger hook to make it more open.

Or this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-shells-blankie is a variation where the edge blocks are as usual, but the inner ones are dc, ch1, dc, instead of 3dc.

I don't know on the amt of yarn, sound to me like you have quite a bit. But how big do you want the lapghan to be?

Thank you so much for helping me with this Kathy. 

The yardage I have is 2508, but it is thinner than worsted.  I'd like the piece to be maybe 50x60, but I don't know if I will make it that far.  I like your idea of working a C to C and seeing how far 6 skeins will go.  If I reach the width sooner than the 6 skeins, it will work out great.  It could be even a little narrower than 50.

I think what is throwing me off is the size (looking at) the skein.  They are quite small compared to a 3 1/2 oz skein of worsted.  :sher

I looked on the Bernat site and they have a pattern for a 40" across round ripple that only uses 4 skeins http://www.yarnspirations.com/pattern/crochet/middle-baby-blanket-0

so i think you have more than enough for a big afghan actually. They are calling it a category 4 which is worsted but it sounds like it feels like a light worsted to you.

( on the bernat site it looks like its not discontinued.)

Thank you Kathy!!  I bought my yarn from Canada's ETent sale.  I don't think they are going to be making more of this particular yarn.  Probably just selling what they have left. The average price is 6.99 a skein. I got 12 skeins for $27.  plus shipping.  It was so inexpensive I decided to buy it.  I should have enough to make something pretty substantial.  I appreciate you help very much :hug

Archived