Double Decrease

MidwifeJo

Question

I'm working on a beret style hat and I'm getting to the band and the stitches read sc in next 3 sc, decrease, sc in next 3 sc, double decrease....

What is the double decrease?  I do not believe it is a "double crochet decrease", as this whole section is worked in single crochet.  I think I'm supposed to decrease twice, but the way it's worded makes me wonder if there's something special about the stitch - do I work a regular decrease but add another loop? Any ideas? 

3 answers to this question

What exactly is the pattern?  Where can we see it?

the pattern should define the decrease.  but i assume the "decrease" is sc2tog, and then the "double decrease" is probably sc3tog; see tutorial here http://www.nexstitch.com/v_single_crochet_dec.html

The pattern is in Celebrity Slouchy Beanies for the family by Lisa Gentry - the pattern is Lacy.  I can't find a web link (I purchased the pattern book from a store).  However, I figured out that the size for the 'small' hat has the double decrease (every other decrease is a double), which finishes 6 stitches shorter than the size for the 'large' hat, which only has single decreases.  So I did the math and concluded that a double decrease just pulls an extra stitch into the decrease (so I pull through 4 loops instead of 3).  It seemed to work :)

Thanks!

Yeah, if it is in a book, there is probably not a way to see the pattern online, unless the publisher puts up a free version as a promo for the book.

If you have the right number of sts and the decrease looks ok to you then you have done it correctly.  

btw, I keep the Nexstitch site bookmarked because it is a great reference on different stitches.  

Archived