Need help identifying pattern in a very old afghan

quilting.addict

Question

I'm new here today. I've been crocheting for 60+ years....off and on. I am an average crocheter, and thought I could repair an old afghan. When I got it today and looked at it, I was totally buffaloed! The repair is needed in the middle of a row, and I have never seen a stitch like this. Please advise if you know what it is and how I can get these two rows back together.

Thanks so much

Jeannie

Bethlehem, GApost-71787-0-26764100-1399765029_thumb.jpgpost-71787-0-46443800-1399765040_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

i think the photos are upside down to the direction it was worked.  looks like every other row is a crossed stitch http://www.nexstitch.com/v_front_cross_stitch.html which might be half doubles.

it looks like a whole row is missing in the damaged part. and part of the remaining row is gone too.  I don't really have any repair suggestions.   Good luck with it!  

I have to agree with MagicCrochetFan.  This looks like alternating rows of dc and the crossed stitch pattern that she linked to.  You are missing a whole row of dc in yellow.  The exposed stitches (sticking up in your second photo) are the dc that should be crossed and would have been stitched into the missing row.  

To fix this, assuming you have matching yarn, cast on with ch-3 in the stitch next to the rip, slip stitch into the last stitch of the missing row, then continue to dc across.  At the end, tie off but leave a very long string.  Thread the string in a yarn hook and sew the exposed stitches back onto the dc row you just created.  I would do this by inserting the needle through the V at the top of the dc (like a normal crochet stitch) then through the loop of the first exposed stitch, through the next V, then the next exposed loop, etc.  It won't be completely seamless, but it will be close if your yarn matches!

To MagiccrochetFan and SunnyInDenmark, a great big thank you! I think between the two of you, I've got a plan. To Sunny, I have all the yarn involved. Somehow it just got pulled out. It was difficult to figure which way the pattern was going. I am going to try and work that half row of double crochets back in. But instead of crocheting that to the exposed stitches, I think I am going to use yarn needle and weave it back together. Will post photos when done.

Note to SunnyInDenmark: Are you really in Denmark? My family is originally from Copenhagen. My Dad just passed away this past year. His name was Einar

Great!  I'm glad we could help.  I hope everything works out.

Note to SunnyInDenmark: Are you really in Denmark? My family is originally from Copenhagen. My Dad just passed away this past year. His name was Einar

I am currently living in Juteland, but I'm from California.  Einar is a very Danish name.  As an aside, did you know that the Danes must pick the name of their child from an approved list?  So many people with the same name...

I started to photograph the finished afghan and honestly could not find the repair!!!! Yeah me and to you who helped me know how to do it! I'd never seen that stitch in my life....and it worked! I did have to take a trip to Michael's because I needed the yarn...it matched so well, I cannot find it! Thanks again!!

Jeannie

in Georgia

Archived