caron simply paints pattern help please

mah1t1

Question

hi, i have been crocheting for a bit over a year and this is my first cardigan, i've done two afghans and several scarves.

i'm having problems with the free pattern from yarnspirations.com for caron simply paints called 'anywhere short-sleeved cardigan'.  here are the instructions for the cluster stitch:

Cl = Cluster—Yarn over, insert hook in indicated st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook; [yarn over, insert hook in same st and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] 3 times; yarn over and draw through all 5 loops on hook.

and here are the instructions for using the cluster stitch:

Set up row: Cl in 4th ch from hook, cl in each ch across to last ch, dc in last ch, turn.

Row 1: Ch 3, cl in space before first cl, *cl between cl in previous row; repeat from * across, dc in turning ch, turn.
Rep Row 1 for Double Crochet Cluster.

here's the gauge and sizing:

INSTRUCTIONS

9 clusters and 8 rows = 4”/10 cm

ss-anywhere-cardi-sch.jpg

i'm using a G hook because this size usually gives me the correct gauge when using caron simply soft yarns.

my first problem is when i put a cluster stitch in every ch as instructed for the set up row, the clusters are too crowded and it's difficult to find the next ch to put the cluster in.

my second problem is the absence of that extra ch 1 after pulling the yarn through all 5 loops of the cluster, the cluster doesn't seem finished without it (other cluster pattern stitch instructions have called for that extra ch 1).

i would like to add the ch 1 to each cluster and skip 1 ch between clusters on the set up row but i suspect that's going to mess up the gauge and sizing.

Please does anyone have any suggestions to offer to maintain the gauge/sizing but fix the crowding problem?  thanks so much!

maggie in michigan

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

the pattern format is kind of messed up, isn't it?  they give the gauge at the bottom where it says Instructions, and the pattern starts where it says Gauge.  And am I blind, or did they entirely leave out the suggested hook size?

I can see where the first row is really crowded with a cluster in each chain.  Probably after that it seems less crowded since you place the cluster between preceding clusters and not into a stitch.  I would try a couple of things:  Use a much bigger hook for the beginning chain, like an I (5.5mm), this will make the first row of clusters feel less crowded.  Or do 1 row of sc before the first row of clusters, I think that would make it easier to see the next st to work into.  I'd still make the beg chain w/ a bigger hook, because my beg chs are always too tight.

to make the pattern as shown (not that they give you a very good view of it in that little photo) I would not add a ch at the top of the cluster.    Adding that will make it look different and probably change the gauge.    Some clusters do have a finishing ch, and some don't.  

Of course you could use whatever stitch pattern yo want and just crochet to the schematic, but then you won't be able to use the pattern stitch counts.  

And am I blind, or did they entirely leave out the suggested hook size?

Before the pattern info starts in the 'customize your kit' section if you are buying materials for the pattern on the site, there is an H hook loaded in the supplies. 

That is definitely an odd presentation for the pattern. It seems a little scattered. That's how they are all formatted now though since they changed things up and rolled everything into 'yarnspirations'. Not a fan of the site's layout in general.  

But back to the topic at hand, I think magiccrochet fan gave great advice. I know it seems odd to not finish off the clusters with a chain but not all clusters do; on subsequent rows since you work between the clusters I don't think the chain is really necessary. If you really prefer to have that chain you can try adding it, but I'd gauge swatch doing it that way to make sure that it is not going to throw your gauge and ensure you will still get the finished size you want. Provided you're working within the gauge with the ch1 added to it, all should be well though the finished look might be a little different. (Another reason to swatch it - you'll be able to compare and see how much of a difference it will make in the appearance.)

well...the set up row turned into a corkscrew!  i've decided to walk away from this pattern for now, it's obviously beyond my skills.  perhaps after i have a bit more experience, i'll try again.  thanks for all your suggestions!

Archived