Help with chart

Kelly Kl

Question

So I've been crocheting for a couple years now, but I've never used a crochet chart, only written patterns. I understand how to read a chart but I don't understand how to use that chart to make something. For example, if I have a chart for a border I could put that border on a piece but often I find patterns for clothing in only chart form and I don't understand how to take an irregular shaped pattern and make it into a shirt.

For example I want to make this:

http://make-handmade.com/2012/09/27/crochet-summer-sweater-girls/

And I can read the chart provided but I don't see how to go from that chart all the way to a shirt. And how am I to make the top?

2 answers to this question

Hi Kelly, welcome to the ville :hook

I really like using stitch diagrams to make things.  There are different approaches to the diagrams.  Diagrams that are made in Japan show how to make the whole garment, all the shaping is shown in the diagram.  the drawback to these is that garments are given in only one size usually.  US patterns often show the stitch pattern in diagram form and then explainn the shaping in written form.  It is my understanding that Russian patterns usually  give a few measurements in the schematic, show at least some of the stitch pattern in diagram form, and then leave it up to the user to figure out the shaping, and how to work to the measurements.  

I find that one has to be careful about finding patterns online.  There are all kinds of blogs and sites that post scanned patterns from books or magazines, which are violating the copyright of the patterns (and the Crochetville guidelines).  I usually avoid going on Pinterest because it seems like half of the crochet things pinned are actually pirated patterns.  Even if we didn't care about the copyright violation, a lot of these actually only show part of the actual pattern, and some are very frustrating because they show a photo of a beautiful garment and then what purports to be the pattern for it---but it is actually just somebody's guess as to the pattern and doesn't work out to look much like the photo.  

What I would recommend is that you learn to use the stitch symbols by practicing with patterns that include both symbols and written directions.  Once you get comfortable with that, you can move on to ones that are only diagrammed.  For those, a good source of free patterns is Pierrot yarn company in Japan http://gosyo.shop.multilingualcart.com/free1.php

For learning, I would recommend Robyn Chachula's book Blueprint Crochet http://www.amazon.com/Blueprint-Crochet-Modern-Designs-Crocheter-ebook/dp/B00DH40UI8/ref=la_B001JP2INW_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396984895&sr=1-5  If you do the look inside thingy you can see how it teaches the use of symbols step by step.  The book should be available via your public library.  

And we are here to answer questions as you go along!  

Archived