Another question

MidwifeJo

Question

Hello again forum,

I'm beginning to think this pattern is too hard for me because I'm at the end of row two and I'm stuck again.

At the end of row two, my pattern says:

… "skip next dc, sc in top of ch-2 changing to C; turn"

The skipped dc was the last stitch in the row (confirmed by the fact that the first thing in the previous row was to DC in 3rd ch from hook.  So I can skip that, but what am I sc'ing into?  I have no more stitches… and I'm confused about the ch-2 as well (usually this pattern does not use a hyphen between the instruction and the number).  

Any ideas please?

2 answers to this question

in the previous row when you dc into the 3rd chain from hook, that leaves 2 chains which are your "turning chain".  the turning chain in this case (I beleive from the instructions you've posted) is standing in for a stitch.  so now in the current row you will stitch into that second chain.  

the hyphen is there to show that they are talking about a completed stitch, not telling you to make a stitch.  you are working into the chain-2 stitch (abbreviated ch-2); you are not supposed to chain 2.  i guess maybe the hypen is just a convention that we have to remember, tried to look up some grammar rules for hyphenating words but my quick search seems to indicate that hyphens are kinda arbitrary.  

is this the book you are using? http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&CategoryID=85&ProductID=2882&RootCatCode=05000

do be sure you have read everything in the book that is general information; this is usually at the front and back of the book and maybe at the beginning of a chapter or right before the start of a pattern.  

do you understand the color change?  

Thank you Villager! 

That is the book I am using :)

Thanks for the tip about reading the info at the front/back of the book - I did look there for help with this problem but couldn't find any useful information.  Fortunately, I have found this wonderful website with lovely people such as yourself to help me out :)

I have the colour change figured - thanks.

Thank you again for your help.  This pattern is really challenging me!

Archived