Help please!

MidwifeJo

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to crochet and am self taught - with the help of the internet :)  I am working on a Red Heart pattern called Vineyard Ripple crochet shawl.  I am very confused with one aspect of the pattern and I'm really hoping someone can help.  The pattern reads:

---

CL (cluster): [yo and draw up a loop in indicated ch or st, yo and draw up 2 loops] 3 times, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook.

---

With A ch 178

Row 1: dc in 3rd ch from hook, *ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, skip next ch, 3 dc in next ch, ch 3, 3 dc in next ch, ch 1, skip next ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, skip next ch **, CL over next 3 ch; repeat from * to last 2 ch, end at **; dc in next ch, dc in last ch changing to B; turn - 15 CL and 16 ch-3 spaces.

----

I did just fine up to the turn.  I am completely lost with the "15 CL and 16 ch-3 spaces".  

Am I supposed to do 15 clusters in one spot?  And then chain?  And am I chaining 16?  Because usually the number to chain comes after the 'ch'… and what are spaces?

Please please please help!

Thank you so much!

4 answers to this question

That is not instruction, it simply means that after you have finished that row you will have worked a total of 15 clusters and 16 chain 3 spaces across that row. It's to help you count out your stitches to make sure everything's correct. Many (but not all) patterns include a stitch count like this at the end of the row/round to help you keep on track. =)

Ahhhh!  Light dawns!  Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!  Laughing at myself - I have seen something similar in one other pattern, now that you mention it… I guess this pattern confused me because it only did this after this one row, not throughout the whole pattern.  

Mea culpa and merci  :)

Yes, it's a common mistake for beginners. The fact that not all patterns include the stitch count, and even the patterns that do don't always include it for every row (as you mentioned is the case for this one), makes it confusing. There is so much to learn about crochet - I've been crocheting nearly my whole life (my mom taught me at a very young age) and there's still a lot that I don't know about it and a lot of stitches/techniques I've never tried. It's great to have a place to come ask questions and get help with the things that are confusing for you. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes.  :hook

Archived