Help with instructions

RavenShdw3

Question

thanks y'all for the awesome welcome  :yay   hhensler thanks for asking and, yes there is something that I'm having a slight problem with ... I've only used the double crochet stitch so, I'm trying something new and attempting to make a chevron or zig zag pattern this time and ... the instructions are a bit confusing ... I'll see if I can copy and paste it here ...

Foundation Chain:

Multiples of 17 + 15

Pattern Instructions
  1. Note
    Work all stitches in the back loop
  2. Prep
    1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, 1sc in each of next 5 ch, 3sc in next ch, 1sc in each of next 7ch, *skip next 2 ch, 1sc in each of next 7ch, 3sc in next ch, 1sc in each of next 7 ch; rep from * across, turn.
  3. Row 1
    working in back loops only, ch 1, skip first st, sc2tog next 2 sts, 1sc in each of the next 5sc, 3sc in next sc, *1sc in each of the next 7sc, skip next 2sc, 1sc in each of the next 7sc, 3sc in next sc,rep from * across to last 7sts, 1sc in each of next 5sc, sc2tog in last 2sc, turn
So, here's the part that confused me (and i've never used a pattern before so pls be patient with my ignorance lol)  I don't understand the difference in the "Prep" row and "Row 1"

Thanks so much!!

3 answers to this question

it's pretty common for patterns to have a "foundation row".  I think this is the first time I've seen it called "prep" but I am pretty certain it means the same thing.  it is just the first row, which is made into the beginning chain.  

succeeding rows are made into stitches.  that is really the only difference.  the "row 1" may be repeated later in the pattern, but the "prep" row won't be repeated since it was done into the chain (unless there is a spot where you make another beginning chain, like to start a sleeve or something).  

:hook and welcome to the ville!

Archived