Cluster Stitch

lynda2006

Question

Hello.  I was trying to make some quick crochet flowers for a pair of slippers I crocheted.  It has turned out not so quick and easy.  I am using a Bernat Crochet Flowers pattern for Cool Crochet yarn (no longer sold).  I was fine until I got to the section which included a cluster and cannot figure it out.  Here is the section:

2nd rnd:  Join A with sl st to any sc.  Ch 1.  1 sc in same sp. *Ch 2.  1 cluster in next sc.  Ch 2.  1 sc in next sc.  Rep from * around, ending with 1 cluster in last sc.  Ch 2.  Join with sl st to first sc.  Fasten off.

Cluster = (Yoh and draw up a loop.  Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times in next sp or st.  Yoh and draw through all loops on hook.

One question I have is how many loops should I have on the hook.  I only have one loop and I know that is probably not right.  When I do the "(Yoh and draw up a loop.  Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook)", I end up with a single hook each time.

I have looked at other cluster stitches and get the general idea, cut still do not seem to make this work.

Lynda

4 answers to this question

You have one loop on the hook from each time you do the part in parentheses, plus the loop you had on hook before you started the cluster, so a total of four.

Basically you are making dc, but holding last loop on hook, and then finishing the three incomplete dc sts together.

Nexstitch has a good illustration of cluster, look at that if you havent already.

I was thinking it did seem like a double crochet. I was confused about when to insert the hook in the sc. So it should be YO (1st before inserting hook), insert hook in sc, YO and draw up loop, YO and pull thru 2 loops (only).

Does that sound correct?

Cancel my reply on the cluster stitch. I watched the video on nexstiich and it was very clear. The only difference I see is you make the dc stitches in the same stitch for this pattern.

And thank you for the nexstitch site. I did not know about it.

Archived