Dying doily?

Cicci

Question

I spent couple of weeks working on this doily.

post-69826-0-96155800-1389752590_thumb.jpg

The thread is bought years ago so have no idea what it is but most likely cotton and now I realized that

it won't be enough to finish the doily which I thought there were. :(

Is it possible to try and find a similar thread and then dye the doily so it will become the same color, or

will the color shift still be seen?

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville:hook

The doily is really beautiful!  

I think you could try to match the color as close as possible and then "overdye" it with another color to kind of blend in the different colors.  I found this article on Knitty.com which looks like it has some basic info and a lot of links.  the info in Knitty should be reliable, it is a respected online magazine.

I am not sure what you might have to do differently since you will be dying a finished object instead of loose yarn.  I wonder about "painting" the doily on the edge so you are only changing the color of the rows that include the new yarn; that way you could leave the inner part the color it is now.   Maybe paint that part a darker purple and i think it would look like a flower.  Couple of articles on painting http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/component/content/article/35-features/222-painting-knitted-lace-with-dye (I think that one is all about wool)   

http://letissierdesigns.com/handpainting-lace-with-dyes/a-fibre-diet-for-hand-painting-your-knitting/   discusses some plant fibers

but maybe when you go to look for new thread you will find a good match and you won't have to dye it! 

:ty 

I will try to find as good a fit as I can and try and dye it. If it doesn't work I have to color it a darker color but I really liked this one. Thank you for the links, some good and interesting reading to learn there. :)

Archived