need help with pattern

lorriea98

Question

I am so confused on this rnd 8 instruction and maybe making it harder than it is please help. I might have bit off more than I can do on this doily pattern but

can't hurt to try and this is 1st time working from pattern, I usually use a video.

The pattern says sl in next ch-5 sp, ch3, 4dc in same sp, (5dc, ch3, 5dc) in next ch-5 sp, 5dc in next ch-5 sp, [5dc in next ch-5 sp, (5dc, ch 3, 5dc) in next ch-5 sp, sl st in next ch-5 sp] around. I am so probaly making it harder than it is I am sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the ville!   :hook

you need to take this one word at a time and just do exactly what it says.  so, to start out, you slip stitch in the next chain-5 space.  then you chain 3, and then make 4 double crochets in that same space that you slip stitched in.  Now, when something is in parentheses, you do all that as one operation, so you put (5 dc, chain 3, 5 dc) in the next chain-5 space.  the square brackets are enclosing the part that is to be repeated all the way around.  

it is often helpful to write out the pattern in complete words to help understand it.  

here is a quick guide to using patterns http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

i would suggest getting a good reference book as well

Archived