Beginner crocheter ~ need help with instructions

Lperry978

Question

I'm new to this site and very new to crochet. I started a baby blanket project and think I've managed to make some good progress, however now I'm stuck trying to understand the pattern instructions for Row 4.

Here are the instructions:

Ch 3, turn; dc in same st (got that far), skip next cluster, (3 dc in next decrease, skip next cluster) across to last 2 dc, skip next dc, 2 dc in last dc: 139 dc.

So I'm pretty confused. I attached a picture of where I am so far. Hopefully someone can help, because I do find this to be rather relaxing and hope I haven't hit a stumbling block with my project.

I guess I should say I'm honestly not sure if my Row 3 (clusters) were completed correctly. The pattern says I should have 46 clusters. I ended up with 69? I hoping this won't matter since I do like the look of how they turned out.

Any help is appreciated!

post-69048-0-51787700-1383443327_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville! :hook

OK, assuming you started out with the same number of chains as the pattern said, if you have 69 clusters when the pattern says 46, you will need to rip out that row and redo it.  You have 50% more clusters than you should.  Row 4 mentions decreases as well as clusters in row 3; did you do the decreases?

If you tell us the name of the pattern and the source---book/magazine title or website it is on----that would be helpful. 

Hi Magiccrochetfan,

Thanks for the nice welcome

Ok, I'm going to take out the cluster row. I tried to watch videos of how to cluster and decrease. So yes, i thought I decreased after every cluster.

The pattern I'm using is Leisure Arts - touchably textured Baby Afghans by Barbara English. The pattern I am working on specifically is Summer Fresh.

Thanks again for your help!

did you find videos that showed how to do this specific pattern?  the row 3 cluster and decrease patterns is kind of complex.  I don't want to discourage you from working out the pattern, but I would not consider this a beginner pattern.

in row 3 you  decrease, which is worked over 3 sts of the previous row, and then chain 3 and work the cluster in the top of the decrease.  so you should have the same # of decreases and clusters, 46 of each .   

when you do the decrease, you work into 3 stitches of the row below.  I wonder if you accidentally increased the # of decreases.....say you've just finished a decrease.  when you start the next decrease, be sure you go into the stitch AFTER the decrease.  Don't start the second decrease in the same stitch you ended the previous decrease.  I hope that makes sense!!  

I don't have time right now, but later on this evening I might be able to swatch a bit of this and post a photo or two for you, if you are still struggling with it.  Of course, somebody might beat me to it lol!  

Well I took out the 3rd row and started the clusters and decreases over. I think my problem is the decreases. After completing each cluster, I am only skipping one stitch from the row below (row 2). Should I be skipping 3?

I'm going to search for videos of this pattern before I consider maybe trying something more beginner. The pattern said easy so I thought I would be ok. I also signed up for a class at my local craft store but that's not until the end of the month. If there are any videos you recommend watching or any pics you can post would be graciously appreciated. Thanks again for all of your help.

Archived