Help with pattern

Jason-Carie Black

Question

1 answer to this question

a gusset is extra fabric added to make a garment fit or move better.  here you have a gusset on the fingers to add the depth needed to cover the sides of the fingers.  you can see a gusset clearly in the photo of fingertips here http://venerablefashions.blogspot.com/2011/08/gloves-part-2.html   There might be other gussets in the pattern too, but the finger section was where I noticed it.  

so the part of the pattern you are asking about--- it's right after it says "Sew side seam of thumb", right?  

Next  it says "Join yarn in first st of foundation ch of thumb. Draw up a loop in each of 9 chs, continue pat. On next 20 sts of palm; 29 loops"---this is the part you want to understand, right?  I think this is joining the thumb to the palm which you have previously made.  i think you join the yarn into the beginning of the thumb and then work around the thumb once then continue stitching on the palm piece.  I do not understand how that works out in the end when you put together the "palm" piece and the "back" piece.  So I could very well be wrong.  I am not the best at using these vintage kind of written patterns with no good photos or drawings of the finished piece as I have difficulty visualizing how everything fits together.  But just reading that one section, i think that is what it must mean.  

Archived