Not sure I understand how to do this

3lilkids

Question

skip next ch-3 sp and sc;

join with a slip st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-4, do 

not turn—

ok so far, then I've done the 84 dc, working on a mobius cowl, but the 42 ch-1 spaces... huh? are these done on the 84 dc, and if so...?

84 dc; 42 ch-1 spaces.

This is an intermediate pattern, and it may be way over my head, but I liked the cowl, and love a challenge. I am self taught, finding all my help in books and the internet. 

Thanks for anyone willing to give me some input  :)

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

I'm not sure that all of the part you meant to quote form the pattern came through.  But it sounds like there should be some chain1s in between the dc.  

Can you link to the pattern?  or tell us where we can see it?  

This?

Round 2: Ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1), dc in same ch as slip

st, working across opposite side of foundation ch, *skip

next 3 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in ch at base of next sc; repeat

from * 19 times, skip next 3 ch and ch at base of next sc,

working in top of Round 1, **(dc, ch 1, dc) in next sc, skip

next ch-3 sp; repeat from ** 20 times, skip next ch-3 sp

and sc; join with a slip st in 3rd ch of beginning ch-4, do

not turn—84 dc; 42 ch-1 spaces.

That's not a new row of instructions, it's the stitch count at the end of that row (and this is a VERY common mistake, by the way.)  "84 dc and 42 ch-1 spaces" let you know that when you finish that row, that's what you will have. If you did (dc, ch1, dc) on the last row, count the dc and the spaces and make sure they add up to 84 and 42 respectively. You need to go back to the join and start Row 3.

That, or "What do they mean, 'turn work'?" Not that I know anyone who didn't understand that. Or who crocheted backwards on alternate rows for several YEARS... :lol

That's why I tell everybody who starts crocheting or knitting that they can't possibly make a new mistake, because I've made 'em ALL!

That, or "What do they mean, 'turn work'?" Not that I know anyone who didn't understand that. Or who crocheted backwards on alternate rows for several YEARS... :lol

That's why I tell everybody who starts crocheting or knitting that they can't possibly make a new mistake, because I've made 'em ALL!

But you learned to crochet backwards!!! :clap

I am in awe of you! I hate doing reverse sc.

Archived