Please help! I'm stuck on this pattern...

Teresac

Question

Hi, I have just started to make a shawl for my upcoming holiday in 6 weeks so I'm on a deadline!  I am stuck on a particular part of the pattern, I have no idea what they are telling me to do.  I am confused from the first row after the foundation row.  To help this is the start of the pattern:-

With 4.00mm hook Make 10ch

Foundation Row:  1 dc into 6ch from hook, 5ch, miss 3ch, 1dc in last ch, 1tr in same ch as last dc turn.

Next Row: 5ch, 1dc in 2ch sp, (5ch, 1dc in next 5ch arch) twice, 2ch, 1tr in same arch as last dc, turn.

The pattern continues in the same way, just getting bigger.

Now the problem I have is what does 1dc in next 5ch arch mean?  :reyes The picture of the shawl shows quite a precise looking grid like squares but when I attempted to make it the squares look more like rectangles and nothing appears to be in line.  I'm getting very frustrated and thinking perhaps I have taken on a very hard pattern having purchased some v expensive yarn!   Every other pattern I have seen with arches seems to say put a dc in the third chain of the arch??

I will be really grateful for any assistance....

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

First of all i see you are in the UK, and the pattern I think is probably in UK terms.  Do be sure you understand how to make the stitches according to the terms used in the pattern.  http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

it is possible that the piece will need to be blocked in order to look all nice and straight.  What yarn is it?

What is the pattern?  if it is free online please link to it.  if a paid pattern, in a book/magazine etc, please tell us where it is.  

into the arch means to work under the chains, not into a specific stitch.  this allows the stitches to sort of self-adjust and be more flexible.  

Hi, thank you!  Thanks for your reply.  I did manage to work out the differences with US terms by watching you tube videos :-) 

The pattern I am using is from a weekly distribution here in the UK called 'the art of crochet'.  The yarn I am using is Cashmere Merino silk.   

I thought that perhaps it was to work into the space of the arch but other patterns I have with the course specify in the space but this one doesn't, I also thought that it might not be right as it might not line up properly.  Yes you're right it does need to be blocked, I see the link you sent me has a baroque ladies jacket that has the same square pattern down the very front of it which is exactly how my shawl looks or should look!

Is this achieved by working just into the space?

Archived