Confusing pattern. Please help!

TexGrandma

Question

I am working on a shawl that can be buttoned along the solid borders of the shawl to create sleeves. The pattern is from Crochet Prayer Shawls by Leisure Arts Publication. Shawl is called "For Every Need." I am now at the edging of the cuff but am stuck. Following are the instructions:

"EDGING: Row 1: Ch1, do not turn; work 48 sc evenly spaced across end of rows; working in free loops of beginning ch, (sc, ch 1, sc) in ch at base of first sc, sc in each ch across to last ch, (sc, ch 1, sc) in last ch; work 48 sc evenly spaced across end of rows; do not join."

1. What is "working in free loops of beginning ch, (sc, ch 1, sc) in ch at base of first sc"? I'm having trouble seeing it since I am now working across the ends of the rows. 

2. Also, when it says "ch" is it referring to the different stitches at the end of each row? Some rows were sc and other rows were hdc.

I really appreciate any help on this. Thank you

10 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

you have made a rectangle,  the four sides of it are the top, which you have just completed; the two sides, which are the row ends; and the bottom which is the beginning chain.  you are going to put the edging  on a side, the bottom, then the second side.  

you start on the side,  you will work into the ends of the rows, "work 48 sc evenly spaced across end of rows".  

then you come to the bottom of the piece as worked, the beginning chain.  you work into the bottom loop of the beginning chain, the part that you did not work into when you started the piece. "working in free loops of beginning ch, (sc, ch 1, sc) in ch at base of first sc, sc in each ch across to last ch, (sc, ch 1, sc) in last ch" .  

then work into the ends of rows on the final side edge, "work 48 sc evenly spaced across end of rows; do not join.".   

Hi again. I'm stuck on the last part of row 2 and first part of row three. I've redone the rows several times and somehow the transitioning from row 2 to row 3 just doesn't go right. I think if I could get this part right, I could finally finish the shawl. I'd appreciate any help. :think

These are the areas I need help with:  "single crochet in last sc two rows below." I don't know where and which sc they are indicating. Are they talking about the sc where I began row 1 of the body? Next it says "Turn; skip first sc, slip st in next 2 chs, ch 1, sc in next ch, ch 5." I can't figure out again what first sc I'm supposed to skip. I've tried several ways and it just doesn't turn out right. I've also tried looking at the picture to see if I can figure out how they did that area, but the picture is just too small. You're absolutely right that a diagram would have been perfect along with the instructions. 

Re the last sc two rows below, if this direction is in row 3, then yes the sc you are to sc into would be in row 1.  

re the turn, skip first sc.....I guess that would be the first sc of the row, or the first one after the place where you stitched before you turned.  not sure that will be any help at all  :blush

Th sc two rows below was the last instruction in row 2. The first row was where the edging ends as it went around the rectangle. Also when I finish row 2 (the sc two rows below) and turn, the first thing I have is the sc I just stitched into and a ch 5 right after. That is why I don't understand which sc they're talking about. Could they be talking about the little cluster done in the middle of the chain 5 which is the (sc, ch 3, sc)? If it is, I have to skip the whole ch 5 to get to the first sc.

Below is showing end of row 2.

post-66270-0-83832300-1361167419_thumb.jpg

Archived