Tip for Threaded Snowflakes

I love making snowflakes for my Christmas tree. Here's a hint to make yours sparkle.

What I do with my snowflakes is stiffen them with a fabric stiffener. I squeeze them out and pin them to a waxed paper covered cardboard to dry.

After I pin them, I sprinkle with T-shirt glitter. This glitter is very very fine and sparkles like the dickens! (I like shiny. :) ) It is hard to find and must be T-shirt glitter. You can get this glitter at a large craft store like Michael's. Sometimes Wal Mart has it. It can be pricy. I think the most I've paid is $2 on clearance. It may go to about $6 for a small vial. Don't let the size of the vial fool you. You get a lot of mileage out of that little vial if you follow the directions below.

Safety Note: You really have to consider using a dust mask when you use it. It is ground glass, I believe. Don't want that in your lungs! However, after the glitter is stuck to the snowflakes, they're good. No worries.

Note: DO NOT use the plastic glitter that comes in plastic vials. This doesn't sparkle. BTDT!

Let the snowflakes dry.

After you unpin and shake out the dried snowflakes, pick out the chunks of stiffener and make a waxed paper funnel so you can put the glitter back into the glass vial.

Have a happy and sparkly Christmas!

Archived