Selling Crochet Items & Gov't Regulations

I've been hearing/reading about Government regulations on labeling as well as lead testing, but I can't get a hard bit of updated information. Is there a thread already started on this issue that I can be led to?

I love crocheting, but I can't seem to get the motivation if it's just for myself -- there's only so many things you can crochet for yourself, and I couldn't possibly afford to do so many "gifts." I thought a happy medium was I could crochet what I'd like and sell them as they're done. However, as I was looking into doing that... I saw that the government regulations were changing that toys made by hand also had to be tested for lead and everything was needing labeled?

Any info/links will be appreciated.

:)

There are various rules relating to child safety, fiber content labeling, and fiber care labeling involved with textile products (anything made from yarn/thread/fiber/etc.). Here are some important links that may be helpful for you to get started:

Complying with the Care Labeling Rules

Rules and Regulations Under the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act

More information about other regulations

Consumer Product Safety Commission--There are special labeling laws for children’s items and for all fiber-containing items. You'll need to check out information about the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, among other things.

Product Liability Insurance

Investigate the need for product liability insurance, especially if you plan on selling items for babies and children. In the event of a lawsuit, the insurance would pay your legal fees. Even if you end up winning a lawsuit or having one tossed out, the legal fees involved can be staggering. You don’t want to put your family’s personal finances at risk.

Archived