Why is the numbering system for the steel hooks different?

(Why? Why???? WHY??????)

Why are steel hooks numbered with... numbers... and other hooks with letters AND numbers? Is there some sinister tidbit of crochet history that explains it, or is it just one of the quirks of the craft? :think

And what's the proper name for either size hooks? I usually see the smaller referred to as steel hooks and the larger as aluminum... but they also come in wood... my brain hurts.

*sigh* when will all these tools go to metric... I can't call these needles zeros, they're not nothing, they're 2mm... so pretty....

It is not a quirk of the craft nor a sinister plot on the part of manufacturers :P . It is due to changes in materials and manufacturing processes through the years.

I know why the US and English steel hooks are numbered the way they are, but I have not been able to find out why they switched to letters for the yarn hooks. If anyone knows let me know.

I have been researching and documenting hooks for six years now and almost have enough information for a book. It is a facinating subject.

Archived