Scrap Happy Scarf: Dot Matthews (bythehook)

bythehook

Scrap Happy Scarf

© 8/19/05 Dorothy “Dot” Matthews. All rights reserved.

Originally published at http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com

This pattern is intended for personal use only. You may do what you want with the items you make, as long as you give Dot credit as the designer, with the following restrictions: you may not sell your items online and you may not sell to retail or wholesale stores or businesses. You are welcome to direct people to this pattern by posting a link to it. This pattern may not be posted on any other site or distributed in any other manner.

post-23-13589747779_thumb.jpg

post-23-135897477795_thumb.jpg

SKILL: EASY

STITCHES USED: single crochet, chain,

ABBREVIATIONS: sc - single crochet; ch - chain; ea - each;

HOOK(S): P hook for scarf; (Q optional for beginning chain)

GAUGE: not important to project

YARN: scraps + About 3 ozs (170 yds) of a solid color

SIZE: 1 size fits most adults. Scarf measures about 60" long and about 4 1/2" wide. For longer or shorter scarf, adjust beginning chain. For wider scarf, do more rows.

PATTERN NOTES: Entire scarf worked holding 2 strands together, and worked in back loops only of stitches. I used a solid color as 1 strand and then I prepare a ball of scraps using either the Magic Ball method or the Russian Join Method.

MAGIC BALL - tie various lengths of yarn together, leaving a tail of about 1 inch. Roll the yarn into a ball. Center pull skein is not recommended for the magic ball. The tails will add interest to your finished project, unless you're like me, then it will add annoyance to your finished project, but either way, there is no need to weave in ends. Here's a link to the Magic Ball Method

RUSSIAN JOIN - weave one end of the yarn back into itself, leaving a loop on the end, thread the next piece of yarn through the loop and weave that end back through itself. Pull the ends to tighten the loops and trim off excess. Confused yet? Here's a couple of links with pictures to help you see what I'm talking about. Russian Join and Russian Join. This is by far my favorite way to join yarns.

INSTRUCTIONS

Using Q hook, ch 121. Switch to P hook

ROW 1: sc in top loop of 2nd ch from hook, sc in top loop of ea ch across. ch 1, turn.

ROW 2: sc in back loop of ea st across. Ch 1, turn.

ROWS 3 THRU 12: Repeat row 2. (repeat row 2 until desired width)

Fasten off and trim or weave in ends. Add fringe if desired. If trimming, be sure to leave at least 1" ends and tie your knots securely.

post-23-135897477768_thumb.jpg

post-23-135897477793_thumb.jpg

Archived